How Westmead Fertility Centre can assist you to have more of your treatment cycle closer to home
Westmead Fertility Centre is now providing greater access to affordable, high quality fertility treatment to those living in regional areas of New South Wales, more than 100 km from our clinic (calculated by Google Maps using the most direct route to our clinic).
Step 1: Referral
- To get started, you will need a valid referral from a GP to a fertility specialist. This referral can be obtained in your local area.
- Contact our regional support team to find out which Westmead Fertility Centre fertility specialists are focused on the delivery of care to patients in your regional location.
- Contact the specialist’s rooms directly to make an appointment.
Step 2: Fertility specialist consult
- The fertility specialist’s rooms will schedule a time for a tele-health consultation from your home or other convenient location.
- For tele-health video conferencing, you will need a suitable computer and internet connection.
- Both partners will be required to attend this first appointment, and it will generally take at least 1 hour.
- Depending on your particular medical situation, a specialist may advise you of the need for a face-to-face consultation, or a referral to another doctor.
Step 3: Checks and investigations
- Your fertility specialist will recommend investigations and tests. We will endeavour to assist for these investigations be conducted in your local area.
- WFC’s fertility specialist will assist you to access the Pre-IVF $250 rebate to assist with out of pocket expense for these checks and investigations. This rebate is available to all Medicare eligible NSW residents.
More information on the Pre-IVF rebate can be found here
Applications of the Pre-IVF rebate can be submitted here
Step 4: Fertility treatment – close to home and at Westmead
- If, after your specialist consult and investigations, it is determined that you require fertility treatment, our regional support team will assist you to arrange some of your treatment to be conducted as close as possible to your home.
- Depending on your location, the work-up and monitoring will be managed locally, including blood tests and ultrasound monitoring.
- If you are able to access local service providers with whom WFC has a relationship, then the cost will be included in your cycle fees. If there are no appropriate local providers, the team at Westmead Fertility Centre will assist you to locate alternate providers and there may be some additional expenses.
- Throughout your treatment you will be in ongoing communication with the Westmead Fertility Centre team through your exclusive Patient Portal.
- You will only travel to Westmead Fertility Centre for the necessary surgical procedures of oocyte (egg) pickup, sperm collection and embryo transfer.
- Our regional support team will be able to direct you to local accommodation options in close proximity to Westmead Hospital. They will also be able to guide you to access the NSW Government’s IPTAAS program to obtain financial assistance with travel and accommodation costs.
- Under the IPTAAS scheme, patients and approved companions can claim up to $120/night towards their accommodation, as well as reimbursement of some travel costs. More information on the IPTAAS program can be found here.
Contact our regional support team if you would like more information.